Religious Education: Grades K – 7th
- Contact: Vicky Serio or Patti Scronce
- Phone: 815-459-3033.
We respect that you, as parents and caregivers, are the primary educators of your children. In partnership with you, we hope to teach your children what it means to be a Catholic Christian. We are here to assist and encourage you in any way possible.
We have 4 options for Religious Education
All classes are designed for the family to grow closer to Jesus and to grow in the Catholic faith through Lessons, Prayer, Eucharistic Adoration, Discussion, Q& A, and Bible Study.
- Traditional Religious Education: (Grades K-7) Students learn in a warm faith filled environment with other students at their grade level. The Religious Education teachers bring knowledge and love for our Catholic faith to their students.
- Family Religious Education: (Grades 1-7) Family Religious Education is an opportunity for families to learn together. Each evening is designed so that 1st – 7th grade students and parents will be able to participate and be challenged. All lessons are guided.
- Special Needs: (K-18 years of age) This ministry looks to take each child where they are at and provide religious education that will meet their individual learning needs. See the attached flyer below for more details.
- Home School: (Grades 3-7) Using the online format from ‘My Catholic Faith Delivered.’ This is self-directed study.
- Information on our Confirmation program can be found in Youth Ministry on this website.
- Registration: opens in May, for the following Fall. An early bird discount is offered. See registration form for dates. For planning purposes, please register by August 31st.
- RE Fees: See attached fee schedules below for Parishioners and Non-Parishioners
- Location: All classes will be held on the Church grounds.
- Class Times:
- Traditional Religious Education:
- Tuesday 4:30-6:00
- Wednesday 4:30-6:00
- Family Religious Education:
- Tuesday 6:30-8:00
- Traditional Religious Education:
Please see the bottom of this Religious page for forms and information.
One parent is expected to attend during one of these retreats during their student’s Sacramental Formation years, though both are encouraged to participate.
”God Is! A One Day Journey Closer to God,” This is a one day retreat on a Saturday that is created to give a spiritual boost to the retreatant and is designed to help us grow deeper in our Faith through a better understanding and experience of God’s love. It is meant to be simple, yet profound.
Light of the World (LOTW) offers each retreatant a unique opportunity for a personal encounter with Christ, beginning Friday evening through Monday evening. While it takes place over the course of a weekend, it is not an overnight retreat. You are able to enjoy the comforts of your own home each evening. Escape the stress of everyday life and be inspired, engages and spiritually renewed!
Please see the bottom of this Religious Education page for the registration form and information.
All volunteers must complete all Diocesan Safe Environment paperwork including a background check and attend “Protecting God’s Children” before the beginning of the school year.
Share and support the vision and goals of the parish religious education program and be committed to continual spiritual growth through attending Mass on Sundays & Holydays, as well as reading sound Catholic material etc.
Further their spiritual growth through Catechists Certification Classes and other opportunities.
Traditional Religious Education: (Grades K – 7th)
- Take care of volunteers’ children during class time.
Catechist (K-7th Grade)
- Spend one to two hours weekly on lesson planning for leading classes held on Tuesday or Wednesday evening.
- Classes are 1½ hour long.
- Class size is approximately 15 students with a co-teacher or classroom aide.
- Attend catechist meeting
- Further their spiritual growth through Catechists Certification Classes and other opportunities.
- Assist Catechist in lesson planning and help with classroom management.
- Will fill in for lead Catechist if needed.
- Be available on short notice to fill in for Catechist or Aide, and take over duties during class time. May be called every week.
- Assure the safety of the children as they arrive and depart from the Church. Supervision in the parking lot is essential for the safety of the students.
Family Religious Education: (Grades 1 – 7th)
- A shepherd will move between tables to help answer questions and guide groups when in need of assistance
- Take care of volunteers’ children & the younger children of families enrolled in Family RE (K & younger) during class time.