- This event has passed.
St. Joseph Altar (Table)
March 18 @ 5:00 pm
The Parish Family of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton will be celebrating the Solemnity of St. Joseph, the husband of the Blessed Virgin Mary, foster father of Jesus and guardian of the Redeemer. He is the Patron Saint and Protector of the Universal church, family, workers, carpenters and a Happy Death. A St. Joseph’s Altar will be prepared on Saturday, March 18, 2017 after the 4:00 pm Mass to honor him.
Origin of Saint Joseph’s Altar (Table)
Legend has it that in the Middle Ages there was a terri-ble drought and famine in Sicily. The people prayed to the Lord and to St. Joseph, Patron Saint of Sicily. When the rain miraculously came and famine sub-sided, they attributed it through the intercession of Saint Joseph and promised to honor him each year with a feast, sharing their precious food with everyone especially the poor and needy.
The St. Joseph’s Altar (Table) is rich in tradition and symbolism.
1. A three tiered altar representing the Holy Trinity. Statue of St. Joseph is at center of the table surrounded by flowers and candles.
2. Since the feast day falls during Lent, surrounding tables are filled with meatless dishes such as pastas, fish, egg dishes, fruit, vegetable and pastries.
3. Fava Beans survived the drought, saved the Sicilians from starvation. The beans brings good luck.
4. Breads baked in special religious symbols, like Cross, Crown of Thorns, etc.
5. Altar and food are blessed.
6. A nine day novena to St. Joseph starting March 10, 2017 after the Divine Mercy Chaplet.
All are welcome! Sign up sheets will be in the narthex starting February 25th for the potluck dinner, where everyone brings their favorite Italian dish to share.
For more information please contact Norma Purn at (847) 458-6762 or Gina Belt at (815) 459-0142