- This event has passed.
Saint Joseph’s Table
March 17 @ 5:00 pm
The Parish Family of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton will be celebrating the Solemnity of Saint Joseph, the husband of the Blessed Virgin Mary, foster father of Jesus and guardian of the Redeemer. He is the Patron Saint and Protector of the Universal Church, family, workers, carpenters and a Happy Death.
A Saint Joseph’s Table will be prepared on Saturday, March 17, 2018 after the 4:00 pm Mass to honor him.
The Saint Joseph’s Table is rich in tradition and symbolism:
- A three – tiered altar representing the Holy Trinity is set up. A statue of Saint Joseph is at center of the table surrounded by flowers and candles.
- Since the feast day falls during Lent, surrounding tables are filled with meatless dishes such as pastas, fish, egg dishes, fruits, vegetables and pastries.
- Fava Beans survived the drought and thus, saved the Sicilians from starvation. The beans are said to bring good luck.
- Breads are baked in in the shapes of religious symbols such as crosses, crown of thorns, etc.)
- The altar and the food are blessed.
A Nine – Day Novena to Saint Joseph beginning on March 9th, will be prayed after the Divine Mercy Chaplet in the Chapel.
All are welcome! Sign up sheets will be in the Narthex beginning February 24th for a potluck dinner where everyone brings their favorite Italian dish to share!
For more information please contact Norma Purn at (847) 458 – 6762 or Gina Belt at (815) 459 – 0142